Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Kangaroo Snack Cups

After discussing the letter K today and learning about kangaroos, we made a kangaroo craft. I've done a kangaroo craft in the past, and I could have done it again because I have a different group of kids, but I wanted to do something new. So I searched around online and came across a craft from Danielle's Place of Crafts and Activities. You can check out that link to find the complete instructions. She used her kangaroo cup for a flower and I thought it would work for a snack. So I took her pattern, but made the legs a little smaller because I was using dixie cups. I also cut everything out of paper instead of craft foam. I was just using what I already had available.
Each kid took one set of legs, one head, two ears, two arms, and two wiggle eyes. They used crayons to color all the body parts and then glued it together.

I used glue dots to glue the legs to the cup and to glue the stick to the inside of the cup.

We did try painting the dixie cups, but they got all mushy and kind of gross, so we ended up just using plain cups. I like the polka dots! I do think a bigger cup would look better, but I already had the dixie cups on hand for a different project. I also had some left over bags of fish crackers from trick-or-treating (I like to give crackers instead of candy to the wee little ones), so I put a bag in each "pouch."
I think they turned out pretty cute!

Fun Fact: A big kangaroo can leap up to 25 feet in one bound!

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love how your Kangaroo snack cups came out! So colorful and the spotted cups make them festive. Thanks for giving a link to Danielle's Place. I would love to use one of your images on Danielle's Place and then link back to your blog. Let me know if this would be okay. Carolyn - www.daniellesplace.com

Betsy said...

Carolyn, yes you can use one of my images. Thanks for asking!

Unknown said...

My son’s preschool class had a kangaroo theme this week and it was our turn for snacks. We love this idea and how our cups turned out!
Thank you!!!

Betsy said...

Awesome! You're welcome!