Sunday, April 1, 2012

Cute Tulip Curls

This is not a craft or project or anything of the sort. It could be classified as decor, but it's not DIY or even intentional. Something very cute happened to a tulip I bought and I wanted to share it with you! I bought a bouquet of tulips at the grocery store (they were too pretty to pass up) and as I was putting them in a vase, one snapped off with only about 5 or 6 inches of stem. Not wanting to throw it away, I put it in a wine glass. Several hours later I noticed the tulip was much lower in the glass than before. With a closer look, I saw that the stem had split into four strips and the ends curled up!

I did a little googling and read if you split dandelion stems and put them in water, the ends will curl. This might be a cool experiment to do with my kids. We could pick some flowers and place them in water to see what happens to the stems. Haha! I just related this post to my blog after all!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What an awesome accident! That tulip rewarded you for not throwing it away! Very pretty!

Betsy said...

Thank you, Cynthia. What a great way to look at it!

vickie lee said...

Same thing happened to me! Home grown Tulips, they were in a vase and within few days the stem split in 4's and curled! I've never before seen this!

Betsy said...

It's a pretty cool surprise, isn't it Vickie?