Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Hummingbird Craft

We learned about beautiful hummingbirds today! I saw this cute craft at Ramblings of a Crazy Woman, using poms poms, a toothpick and a muffin cup, but I changed it a bit to better suit my kids.
We started yesterday by painting half of a small paper plate with watercolors.
Then today we put it together. I made peanut-shaped bodies and cut the paper plate into thirds. Since I can't cut into three equal pieces without measuring, I just cut a triangle from one end,
then used that as a template to cut the other end,
and the piece that was left was bigger. That way, two pieces would be the same and serve as the wings. And the remaining piece was the tail. The kids glued them to the back of the hummingbird body.
Then they flipped it over and drew eyes, but I think wiggle eyes would be cute.
For the sparkly gorget (yes, we all made male hummingbirds), the kids put a drop of glue on the "throat" and spread it around with a paintbrush.

Then they added glitter.
When it was dry, the kids picked out a colored toothpick to use for the bill. (I used a black sharpie to color my toothpick, but I thought the kids might as well have colorful ones!) I poked a hole with the toothpick under the eyes, and then added a mini glue dot to the back, directly over the hole.
I cut the toothpick so it wasn't as long, or as pointy on the back end, and stuck it in the hole. The glue dot kept it there. But I also added a piece of tape to cover up the stickiness of the glue dot.
And that's how we made our hummingbirds!
Because of the sharp toothpick, I decided to hang these guys up high, above our flamingos.


And now I have to put out my hummingbird feeder!

Fun Fact: Hummingbirds are one of the most aggressive bird species and will attack other birds, including hawks, that infringe on their territory.

(Comments have been turned off for this post, due to an experiment. They will be back on soon.)
**Linking up to Sharing Saturday!**

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Oh, we will have to make my parents one of these. My father has at least 3 hummingbird feeders.

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhh, these hummingbirds are adorable!! I've never seen anything like this. Can't wait to make them!

Carrie said...

Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!

Carrie said...

Betsy, just want to let you know that I will be featuring both your hummingbirds and flamingos together this week on Sharing Saturday. Thanks again!!